COUNTUP

May 3, 2005

Subconscious Mandarin

Last night I tried experimenting with an mp3 recording of Mandarin language lessons by listening to it while going to sleep. I wanted to see if all that stuffI've read about your subconscious being able to remember such recordings was actually true.

Maybe it's too early for me to say, but so far I don't think anything's sticking. Maybe it's because the audio recording wasn't meant to be listened to that way. (I doubt anyone would commit the Lord of the Rings audiobook to memory if they listened to it in their sleep long enough.) Hell, I was literally drifting in and out of consciousness as the recording repeated itself God knows how many times. And like reading a dull book for the first time I can only recall the last few portions. In my drowsy state I finally turned off the mp3 player and went out like a light.

I'm trying it again tonight, just for the sake of scientific curiousity, and my nature of not knowing when to quit.

No comments: