Last Sunday National Bookstore at Powerplant Mall opened their Comics Zone, an expanded section dedicated to graphic novels. I accompanied Lola both as wingman and comics consultant. She even dressed for the occasion, wearing Flash-themed colors w/ a red top, a yellow belt and his lightning bolt insignia button. Actually her overall look more closely resembled Wonder Girl's current costume, but at least it's still comics-related.

When we arrived a small crowd was already gathering outside the store, their attention caught by a big sign that said FREE COMIC SUNDAY. Either that or they had just finished having their pictures taken with the partially mechanized life-sized white tigers and giant pandas displayed in front of the bookstore and were looking for something else to do.
Aside from giveaways in the from of Free Comic Book Day (actual trademarked term) leftovers (and 20% off all graphic novels), they set up autograph tables manned by renowned talent like Tony Zuniga, Edgar Tadeo and Leinil Yu, w/ the latter's sketch of The Hulk being given away a the grand prize on their raffle. And if you asked them nicely they'd even oblige you w/ a free sketch.
I can sum up the main difference between The Comics Zone and the graphic novel sections of other bookstores in 2 words: Open. Copies. Without fear of discreetly removing shrink-wrap or ignoring DO NOT OPEN PLEASE ASK FOR ASSISTANCE notices, I was finally able to peek at the interiors of the thin-but-humongous Wednesday Comics hardcover, while disparaging DC Comics' inconsistency w/ their production values of deluxe hardcovers. (Superman VS Muhammad Ali gets recolored and superior paper stock, but Alan Moore's Superman run gets printed on something that's just practically one ply above newsprint? Thank god Marvel Comics gives equal treatment to all its trades and hardcovers. Thick and glossy paper for all, even the $#!++y titles.)
While browsing for titles it was fun chatting w/ fellow fans of the medium (complete strangers, btw, save for Mike Smith, Product Manager of Nokia Philippines, who gave me his business card afterwards) and sharing insights on our favorite titles and writers. (Coulda used more chicks, though. Just saying. :p) I may have gone all prudish w/ my reaction to seeing Mark Millar's Kick-Ass on the bottom rung of their display wall, where kids can easily get to it, next to Flash: Rebirth, another book that, no offense to Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, is more PG than GP. (The former is choc-full of over-the-top blood and violence, while the latter has someone being violently murdered in the first 3 pages. Yes, I've read both books, and even in context I wouldn't lend it to kids.) I pointed this out to Lola and suggested we replaced Kick-Ass w/ X-Men: First Class (rhyming unintended), IMO a good "gateway" comic.
In support of the event (and to take advantage of the sale) I bought several volumes of Ex Machina* and Vol. 12 of 100 Bullets to fill holes in my collections. Before that I caught Lola chatting w/a famous newspaper writer (and well-known bibliophile). Although she didn't introduce me to her I noticed the writer's earrings, w/c were made from empty tubes of Mighty Bond. Eclectic or fashion accessory cheapskate? You decide.
We stayed all afternoon, and as her way of thanking me Lola had my Mighty Avengers hardcover autographed by Leinil Yu, and bought us dinner at Cafe Mediterranean.

*POSTSCRIPT: Later that evening I removed the shrink-wrap plastic on Vol. 7 and was shocked to discover that the plastic masked the shoddy condition the TPB was in. Not only was the back cover's usually glossy finish almost gone like it was cleaned w/ metal polish, but a laminated display table tag was stuck on the cover page! Two days later I went back to NBS to have it replaced and/or exchanged, but while they agreed to replace it the cash register girl had the gall to try and charge me w/ paying the balance of the book's pre-discounted price! I stood my ground and in the end they gave me Vol. 6 at no extra cost.
By coincidence, famous newspaper writer was also there, standing at the cashier next to me and purchasing a lifestyle mag. She was still wearing her Mighty Bond earrings.

No comments:
Post a Comment