Dec. 16, 2010: As invited, promised and under pretend-threat of whatever-kind-of harm from the Managing Editor (I'm sure it wasn't bodily), I attended the launch party of SHOT Magazine at The Establishment. Being a Fort Strip newbie it took me awhile to find the place, because even if the pillar w/ the letters F, O, R T on one side served as a landmark, The Establishment's front door was pretty inconspicuous. An hour and a half past the time stated on the invite and place was moderately packed w/ people I didn't know. The dress theme was supposed to be the Golden Age of Hollywood-ish, but I lacked a Rat Pack suit or a James Dean leather jacket, so I instead wore the new shirt my sister-in-law gave me.
Normally my at-present dateless social life has me spending quiet evenings at home watching downloaded programs, but Ana G. is one of maybe three people that can get me off my duff and leave the house past 8pm to attend her late-night events. And tonight was a big deal to and for her. Print journalism may be dying but print magazines still have some life left in them, and I think she's more than qualified to see one of them through. Cocktails like brown nachos, popcorn and pigs-in-a-blanket were being served before the official unveiling of the maiden cover, all to be washed down w/ a controlled (read: limited) open bar. The bartenders wouldn't make me a mixed drink w/o paying, so for the whole evening I made do w/ glasses of white wine.
Moi, Carlos and the Managing Editor
Master of ceremonies Lucas Raven's voice reminded me of Russell Brand sans British accent, or perhaps Maurice Arcache w/o the chain-smoking rasp. The band led by Eddie Alejandro (I'm guessing related to Rachel and Hajji Alendro, since both were also present at the event) was so-so, insisting on singing an 80s cover song w/ a loud monotone akin to Cake. Oddly enough they didn't sing a single song w/ the word shot in the lyrics for some thematic symmetry. (And there's so many to choose from! Pat Benetar's Hit Me with Your Best Shot, Billy Joel's Big Shot, JLS' One Shot, and --duh--LMFAO's Shots.) I met Frenchman Henri Muzzarelli, who's in the high-rise windows cleaning business, and Carlos, who works in media and between appetizers shared his best and worst FHM-worthy multiple-partner sex stories. (True of not, it was entertaining to hear.)
The semi-crowded Establishment.
As for quasi-celebrity sightings, aside from the Alejandros there was Avi Sawa, whose almost-dress seemed to be composed of a foot or two of leather and strategically placed double-sided tape, and Vicky Belo, arriving from another party next door and showed up only to have her picture taken and to use the ladies' room. I imagined approaching her in all her low-cut-dressness and saying, "Hi, I know your ex-boyfriend's parents. Nice couple. Did you know they're attending weekly Bible study sessions w/ my ex-girlfriend's parents now?"
Finally there was party co-host Patrizha Martinez, whom I honestly didn't know until TV5's showbiz-gossip program Juicy aired their piece of the SHOT launch about a week after. Apologies.
Alas, I was not in the VIP list to receive a complimentary issue of SHOT, but I managed to browse throught a copy before the VIP owner, Nico, saw me keeping it close to my chest and asked in a strong French accent, "Are yoo mehkeeng lov to eet?" I'm guessing that would've sounded classier if spoken in actual French.
Speaking of shots, after 3.5 glasses of wine I was ready to call it a night, as tipsiness was already kicking in and would probably leave me unable to drive home straight if I had some more. Paid for it the next day w/ a allergic reaction of a splitting headache and hives.

No comments:
Post a Comment