COUNTUP

Dec 11, 2010

Lessons in Kettlebelling

This week I finished a grueling 16-stage kettlebell workout program that’s supposed to help increase my strength and stamina. It differed from my regular k-bell workouts in that there was less variety but more repetitions. If you had told me years back I’d be swinging approximately 70-pound weights explosively over my chest then above my head as many as 60 times I’d have asked if you missed taking your medication, or looked for DeLorean time machine.

I came out of the program w/ calluses on my palms thick enough to file off, as well as a newfound appreciation for packaging tape, anti-perspirant sticks, petroleum jelly and paper napkins (in lieu of having actual protective gloves we wrappped our hands in so much packaging tape we looked like poorly financed Muay Thai fighters.)

But sometimes our improvised "gloves" weren’t enough. As the tape wore out the calluses graduated to to blisters that formed because of friction heat generated by our repetitive swinging movements. I came across a seemingly obvious solution: reduce the friction with petroleum jelly. Thanks to that my blisters didn’t break and/or bleed, unlike w/ some of my k-bell classmates. The gross downside is picking on calloused skin like scabs on a wound.

Psychology was also key in finishing the more insane workouts. For example: one of them had us do 3 sets of 40 reps, but I found it was easier to finish if I counted it as 5 mini-sets of 8 reps instead of a straightforward 1-40 rep count.

Workout buddies also help. I got my cousin John(son) to join me about a month after I did, and like Lyndon before him in my past gym days, it’s good to have someone to pace with and challenge you to see how much your body can take. John and I are the same age, but even though physically he’s bigger in size (and appetite) I’m relatively stronger than him. I believe he’s also the only relative I know who also lifts weights for exercise, but unlike him I don’t have a sport to fall back on (he’s an avid golfer.)

This is all I have for now in terms of weight training, or even as a pseudo-sport. (Bowling and swimming are done for fun and cardio, respectively.) While I’m sure to be getting a stronger (and better looking, at least w/ the right room lighting) physique out of this, I just hope the rewards exceed the damages (achy joints, slipped discs, etc.).

No comments: