COUNTUP

Aug 31, 2005

Adventures in Computer Coloring

For nostalgic reasons this image cracked me up. With my free time I dabbled in some more Photoshop experimentation:

The original drawing

The smiling cube with the derby hat giving the Hulk the smack-down is Mr. Strong, one of many Mr. Men characters created by Roger Hargreaves in 1971. True, this was before I was born, but years later I distinctly remember having Ma buy me Meet Mr. Strong in Goodwill Bookstore. Back then several things about the character appealed to me. He was red, my favorite color. His story was short and simple. ("Mr Strong is so strong he can lift entire buildings. If you need something lifting, Mr Strong is the one to call!") The secret to his strength? Eating lots of eggs! As an impressionable kid I tried to emulate him. Also ate lots of eggs, mostly hard-boiled because in his book it looked like that's how Mr. Strong took them. Don't remember getting stronger, but I did get sick of eggs quickly. And this was before health "experts" began flip-flopping on how healthy they were. (C'mon, they came out of a bird's ass. How the hell did anyone think they'd be edible?) Nowadays I hate eating eggs by itself, hard-boiled, scrambled, whatever.

Eggs beat Gamma Rays

But I digress. My old problem with coloring line art was how to color without painting over the actual art. One Darken command later and I was up and running. This piece is very amateur, w/c is to be expected, and I always have trouble deciding on a good background color. I did achieve the desired effect shading Hulk's green physique to give the illusion of depth.

Hope you like it. (Wait. Who am I talking to, anyway...?)