COUNTUP

Feb 22, 2010

Fulooking Around (An Ad EATremum Event)

For this year's EDSA Anniversary only students got the day off today to "celebrate." Luckily for Irene she works in a school, so she got to "celebrate" by sleeping late and bum around the house. Oh, and get a chance to see batchmates again for dinner.

It seems scheduling a small Batch '94 dinner around Irene's free day was just as good an excuse as any to get it done. (Hell, worked the first time.) This time it was supposed to be at Greenbelt 5, but I couldn't find a place w/ reasonably priced food and conducive for good conversation. Someone suggested Mann Hann, but the one near Glorietta was closed for good, and the main branch in San Juan was spacious but a b*tch to find sufficient parking. I settled for the SM Mezza branch across the street from Centerpoint.

After picking up Mona and Irene, we were the first to arrive at Mann Hann. When everyone else finally showed it was clear that we could not be fit at one table, plus those f#%kers were bolted to the floor so we couldn't move them. So imagine 15 adults, after some chatting and not ordering (but still holding the menus), getting up to leave after one of them explains to the manager that we'd opt to stay if they had longer tables and benches. Darwin's suggestion? Luk Foo Restaurant along E. Rodriguez corner Araneta Avenue. If I knew we'd be this close to my house I might have hosted this dinner there.

We selected Set Menu B, and out came Chinese dishes so unremarkable it was like they wanted to emphasize how less interesting their food was compared to Gloria Maris. But I've said it before: the quality (and price) of the food is secondary to the interaction around the table. Tonight I met Cheryl Dy and Wendy's husbands and Darwin's wife for the first time. Tonight I learned a bizarre rumor concerning the spawn of a couple of Ad Extremates. Tonight I learned almost all of them want to enroll their kids in Saint Jude Catholic School. Poor Irene, more paperwork for her.