COUNTUP

Feb 22, 2010

School Ties

Free time last Friday found me going to Jehan's office at Tytana Plaza in Binondo to attend a meeting of the Saint Jude Catholic School Alumni Association website committee. (Good luck fitting all that on a business card.) Surprise, surprise, the website's been lacking in oomph and updates. I was there to offer some insight and suggestions, if not actual material worth publishing online. Jehan was nice enough to order Uno takeout for us in the form of various rice topping meals.

Speaking of suggestions, ones like having an open forum board or the site hosting some blogs were tossed around. Nice on paper, but as I told current SJCS AA President Johann Tan, things like a website require passion (or monetary incentive, w/c isn't likely here as the site was put up by volunteers) to keep it going. Hell, I have batchmates unable to sustain a maximum 140-character typing habit, much less updating blogs. And even if they did have the enthusiasm for it, the SJCSAA website would have to compete for attention of those who prefer using Blogger, Facebook and/or Twitter to voice their opinions.

That being said, the meeting was more of coming up w/ material for the site. Sports was a given, w/ all those games the alma mater's been winning (and losing) lately. (Johann was strangely fixated on highlighting cheerleaders.) Another was a monthly feature article of high-profile alumni, or at least those w/ interesting jobs. Tim Yap was mentioned twice or thrice, but I suggested holding off on that idea. He's a friend but it's not like he needs more exposure from us.

For the Features Section, I suggested --as a joke-- someone writing about what it's like marrying a Judenite. After the guffawing died down I suggested a more logical (and possibly less offensive) article would be about Judenites marrying other Judenites, be they of the same batch or otherwise. (Batch '94 has six and counting.)

Next meeting we should have selected someone to do the website's redesign (they're leaning towards Richard, whoever that is).

2 comments:

Chinachix said...

Is that Steph Ganchua?

El PresiBENte said...

I think so, yes. I really gotta make nametags for everyone I meet. :)