COUNTUP

Apr 5, 2008

Fishy Friday

In anticipation for the huge amount of food I'll be consuming at Lola Ina's for dinner, I only had salmon steak ("steak" apparently refers to the way the meat is sliced, and not some weird fish-beef hybrid) for lunch, w/ 1 tomato in place of rice. A real stomach-slimmer, that one.

Also anticipating long hours of after-dinner chatchit from the 'rents and visitors from Bicol, I brought along my portable DVD player and watched Confessions of a Superhero, a documentary featuring 4 street performers who dress up as movie/comics/cartoon characters along Hollywood Blvd., specifically Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and The Hulk (that's 3 for DC Comics and 1 Marvel, in geek ratio). "Superman" here is Christopher Dennis. Imagine Christopher Reeve's older, scrawnier cousin.

Anyhoo, I digress. Dinner had our usual orders: flame-grilled tuna collar, broccoli stir-fried w/ garlic, tuna belly, shrimp tempura, pork liempo, spicy fried crab and calamari. Every time. But I never tire of it. Dad ordered some red fish sloshed in sweet-and-sour sauce, but it didn't go over very well.

Among our dinner guests were my chosen Confirmation godparents, Jesse Robredo and wife Lenny, the former currently the mayor of Naga City (5 terms and still going strong, I believe). Busy guy that he is I hardly get to see him, so it's always a treat when we do meet up. Boy, there's a feeling I'm familiar with. (Just kidding, milady.)

On the sorta down side, I just recovered from that a cold a caught from one of my nephews when I caught one again, this time from my sister-in-law, who sat next to me at the dinner. Can't blame her; wild seahorses couldn't drag her (nor any of us) from the food at Lola Ina's.

See ya around (sniffle)...

No comments: