COUNTUP

Feb 20, 2008

S.P.I.T.fire

Had an early dinner, then drove out to Bonifacio High Street in Taguig to catch Aryn Cristobal's show at the Mag:Net cafe. Turns out she's part of S.P.I.T., an comedy improve group (think Who's Line Is It, Anyway?). The Silly People's Improv Theater was founded by Gabe, the rotund dude you might recognize from recent Yakult TV commercials, as well as his own show Noypi.

The show started 2 hours later than what Aryn told me, so I had plenty of time to kill. Good thing Dee and KV showed up around the second hour. I was buying the food, Dee the drinks and KV the tickets. Talk turned up some interesting bits about their social lives. Dee was sotra seeing some pastor-in-training, while K broke up w/ his band-singer girlfriend (and subsequently removed any trace of her in his F'ster page), and was contemplating making contact w/ another ex who's already married and has 1 kid. Times like this I'm glad me and G are taking it slow. (Insert ironic smirk here.)

And how do D and K know each other? Not from our Beijinoy days, as I thought. Turns out D's good friends w/ K's ex, Band-Singer Girl. This time they're the ones that hang out. (More ironic smirking...)

Anyhoo, on w/ the show. Aside from contributing to some of the bits Aryn acted as the emcee. Each member seemed to have their own way of "delivering the funny," from bad puns to one-liners to dryly delivered but quick comebacks. Kenneth (the only Tsinoy in the group?) was impressive with his talent for spewing historial trivia (some of it may even be factual). Joel Trinidad (last saw him in Avenue Q as Trekkie Monster) lay down his vocabulary skills with the Alphabet Soap game. I can't name the rest of the cast but rest assured most of them were good. Not-so-good? The singing games. Lord, this time I'm sure the guys in Who's Line do multiple takes of Hoedown and Irish Drinking Song. Verbal improv is hard enough, but to give it rhyme and melody? If I was onstage doing that refunds would be a standard.

We also saw a bonus show of sorts. Some guys from MTV Demark were there to shoot a music viedo and proceeded to shoot around the audience. It was surreal seeing big dudes bump your table and run backstage while S.P.I.T. was still performing. First I thought someone was playing a prank and pissed off the guys who were chasing him. Turns out it was just Take 2. (Hope they captured my good side.)

2 comments:

Chinachix said...

OMG, that is her! i have a picture of her with her and her mom on a trip to palawan, like eons ago. she's a big girl na pala. say hi to her for me (i dunno if she'll remember though...just tell her i used to work with her mom at manila chronicle)...

El PresiBENte said...

Well, to quote Aryn when I mentioned u during a F'ster message exchange:

"I don't know a Harriet Dy, but then again, I don't know most of the employees of my family members. Hahahahahaha :)"

How old was she when u met her? Kee-RIST, we are OLD, dear.