COUNTUP

Sep 3, 2007

Catching Up (Yet Again)

I felt like kicking myself for not taking full advantage of last week when the 'rents were off vacationing in Hong Kong. Didn't go out as much as I wanted, but instead made use of the new DVD player Ma won in a raffle (1 of 2 units, as well as a cordless phone). It had Divx, Xvid playback and .srt/.sub subtitle reading capabilities, as well as a USB port where I could plug in my Creative Muvo mp3 player like a flash drive. So now I can watch my downloaded movies on a normal television screen and lay on the couch while doing so.

On Friday I watched a "Concert for the Environment" at Le Pavillon sponsored by Cemex, featuring Fat Session (bad pun), Noel Cabangon (Joey Ayala lite), Kjwan (the J is silent) and The Dawn (bastards didn't even sing Enveloped Ideas). W/ me were Aissa, Raymond, Bebot, Rona (Dale Carnegie classmate) and her officemate Rhea. I'm not exactly sure what "environmentally friendly cement" is or how being sold in plastic bags isn't contradictory to that claim, but then again I was only there for the concert and grub.

Cocktail food, pasta and drinks were more than abundant (only had 1 SanMig Light, tho'), but all that beer and red wine still couldn't release the inhibitions of some of the corporate crowd that attended. Well, I never thought rock bands and suits mixed, much less rock concerts and plastic garden chairs. Fat Session run the gamut of covers, bookending the show by practically singing the entire Chorus Girls playlist and various disco/dance numbers. Former President and First Lady Ramos were in attendance, and man, did they grab attention of the rest of the VIPs (as well as the media), much to the chagrin of the band Kjwan, who was in the middle of a song number that went out to the quickly-emptied seats of the first 3 rows. All in all a okay show. Rons and Rhea even got to take home some penne bolagnese.

Saturday I went to the Book Expo w/ Goldy. Ran into Jan (who returned my DVDs), Lola (at the NBS booth where I bought Vol. 10 of 100 Bullets and where they where selling a copy of Absolute Sandman 175 bucks cheaper than when I bought it), Blessed and Marlene, who by coinkydink knew Goldy and tried to pry about whether we were an item or whatever. Far be it for me to share information on something even I wasn't sure of, so I didn't. wink wink nudge nudge. Had Japanese for dinner, Starbucks for dessert and their free bags of coffee ground ("for your garden") for souvenirs. When I got home the 'rents had arrived. They got what I asked for: at pair of wireless headphones (Logitech)! Bluetooth tech rocks!

1 comment:

Chinachix said...

Goldy, as in my cousin Goldy Tang? (Cons' sister?) btw, will be in manila in Nov. See you perhaps?