COUNTUP

Jul 8, 2007

10 (Trinoma) Thoughts on Transformers

Checked out the Trinoma mall yesterday w/ Wella, first to check out the grand openings the new of Comic Odyssey and Western Appliance stores. Wella got a new shirt, cellphone and spray-paint for her nightstand, while I bought lunch, taho and freakin' expensive double-sided tape (at SM North EDSA across the street).

Later in the evening I caught a last full screening of Transformers in Greenhills w/ Boit and Dionne. Spoilers ahead:
  • General consensus on Megan Fox's hotness (though her voice make her sound ditzy), Anthony Anderson, John Tuturro and Frenzy's annoying presence (the JarJar Binks school of acting) and Shia Lebeouf's excellent comic timing.
  • The entire movie would've felt right at home in the late 80s or early 90s w/ it's vibe. Back then I would've rolled my eyes much less at the cringe-worthy dialog and MacGyver-like story implausibility.
  • Why did they make Ironhide sound British?!? Though I like how Hugo Weaving made Megatron sound more like Galvatron, and of course a geekgasm for Peter Cullen as an older, raspier Optimus Prime.
  • I know the scene w/the Autobots trying to hide in the 'burbs was played for comic effect, but I think it just looked like Sam's parents were very hard of hearing (couldn't hear a 20-foot robot destroy your garden fountain) and had no peripheral vision.
  • My brother was right in saying I could've waited for the DVD, since most of the robot action was going by so fast and in a herky-jerky fashion I couldn't appreciate the detailed work they put in designing the Transformers.
  • Real classy, Bumblebee, peeing on the human. I'm surprised you didn't light the guy on fire afterwards.
  • Hey, what's a Borg cube doing underneath Hoover Dam? Oh, wait...
  • I was under the impression the AllSpark was akin to the original Creation Matrix in the comics, at least in terms of function (i.e. gives life to Transformers). Yet in the movie it just makes inanimate machines into malevolent robots. If that's the case, why were the Autobots so intent on protecting it? (The argument could be made that only Earth objects turn evil, while real Transformers that were given life could go either way.)
  • Oh, no! Bumblebee's legs were blown off! Jazz's been pulled apart by Megatron!! Humans are dying!!! Ratchet, what is it that you do again, aside from leaving a girl to do your work w/ a stolen towtruck?
  • Hey, Prime, instead of endangering Sam by holding him in your hands while fighting someone , why didn't you shove that cube into Megatron's chest, instead?

No comments: