Went to another meeting yesterday to hear about more plans about forming a formal organization for voice talents. Think Actor's Union in audio. This song was sung before by Univoicesal Productions (the first one I joined but have not gotten a gig from), and now in an ironic twist this tune was remade is by one of its founders, VO veteran Pocholo Gonzales (if you've watched enough TV you've literally heard of him.)
Pocholo's career in voiceover work is probably the one I would've wanted for myself had I actually pursued it hard enough (Sucks how the work ethic of Tsinoys of generations past isn't hereditary, but baldness IS). During the meeting he spouted figures and self-promoting anecdotes, but my bull$#!+ detector wasn't buzzing, save for the usual marketing buzzwords you see in a MS Powerpoint presentation (and he had one). Still, better that someone do something about the sorry state of the VO industry in this country. I just want the work. He seemed impressed with my portfolio and invited me and other VO pros and rookies to join his group Creative Voices. After the meeting at McDonald's (guess when you're starting out fastfood restos are the boardrooms of choice) we all went to an audition for an upcoming Chinovela, where once again my apprehension to unrehearsed reading of Tagalog scripts proved to be my downfall. And I was one of the "pros." I miss reading English scripts.
So once again like a good freelancer I wait for any good news (i.e. progress) that might come out of Pocholo's latest endeavor. Fingers not crossed, breath not held.
No comments:
Post a Comment