COUNTUP

Jul 9, 2011

June Jumps

June 10: I believe this was the first night of Dee arranging a outing w/ her circle of friends and family.  Our initial outing took us to Power Plant Mall, where she and I had cheesesteak sammiches for dinner (Kester went for Japanese), then we all watched X-Men: First Class.  The nightcap was at Good Earth instead of Barcino because Mare wanted beer, not wine. 



June 16: Another movie night, this time sponsored by Cemex.  I asked for and got 5 tix to Green Lantern (the 3D part was a bonus), because aside from inviting Theresa and sister Kathy, their little brother and Kathy's fiance were also supposed to attend.  Unfortunately bad weather and traffic left the sisters arriving to Eastwood Mall late and missing  half the film.  Worse, their guys weren't even with them.  I'd just deprived two Cemex clients of their chance to watch a free but so-so, chatty, superhero movie and eat so-so popcorn w/ a soda.  Afterwards we ate dinner at Flying Pig,  w/c not coincidentally had a superhero  theme going.  Pork dishes weren't that super, sadly.  Had to go to Coffee Bean to wash it all down, while laughing our butts off over the term, "Body Udor."

June 23:  SJCS Batch '86 hosted this year's alumni homecoming, earlier than the usual 3rd of 4th quarter of the year it's usually held.  The batch's major outing was in Boracay, whereas tonight it was a dinner and tribute to the teachers.  With my usual homecoming partner Irene (3 years running) we braved the rainy weather for the dinner and a show despite the fact that Jehan, --who had our tickets to said dinner and show-- hadn't arrived when we did.

The night's entertainment was more suited to the batch.  It was The Company, whose member or two was w/ my brother Wilson during his time w/ the Ateneo Glee Club, so inviting them to perform probably wasn't difficult.  What was proving difficult was the weather outside.  While the program was going of the streets outside were getting flooded, Jehan & Co. got stranded, and the 8 whole lechon they ordered all the way from Cebu came in around 11pm, way past everyone's dinner time.  Fortunately they decided to raffle a couple of them away, and funnily enough one of the winners was a nun.  (Good thing she wasn't Muslim.)
     The scary part was after the party when Irene and I had to drive through the flooded streets, w/ the CRV threatening to conk out on me while following what seemed to be The Slowest Van in The World.  Worse yet, after I brought her home I was having trouble getting home myself, as almost every path to dry(er) land was anything but.  A wrong turn took me to Quiapo.  Then I was the only counter-flowing car on Quiapo Bridge headed for Espana, but then the traffic past UST wasn't moving.  I decided to brave the floodwaters one last time to head for Nagtahan, get some gas (running on fumes at this point) and drive to Araneta, w/c was (surprise) flooded past E. Rodriguez, so I had to detour to Banawe before reaching Agno Extension.

( I realize all that driving information must have rendered you unconscious, but sorry to say some days I just want to be boringly thorough.)

No comments: