COUNTUP

Jul 26, 2009

Coulda Been Bettah

Just got back from emceeing my first wedding reception this year (Yes, I've been having a bit of a dry spell, gig-wise) , held at the Sofitel Grand Ballroom for newlyweds (and, I'd like to think, new friends) Edmund and Candice (Tiu) Tang. Inspite of today's heavy rains (Sunday Floody Sunday) since I took EDSA I made it with time to spare.

The most popular feature at the reception was definitely the photo booth, but I wasn't able to partake of it. Also, for the longest time I've been taking less and less good pix of events I attend, w/c worries me, but I digress.

To describe my perfomance as being rough around the edges would be a kindness. "Edges?" Try "Needing a for a sandblaster."

My first pre-show misstep came when I left the DVD of the AVP in the car. Luckily my Personal Assistant* was able to retrieve it for me.

My first official misstep came the minute I introduced myself and called out the first pair of principal sponsors, because I misread my PA's hand signals and started the show when I should've just asked the principal sponsors to gather out in the hall.

Then on my second try, I missed saying "Mr." and "Mrs." twice in my introductions (sorry, parents of the Groom). Then my DVD wouldn't play (Pioneer DVD players can be really picky when it comes to DVD-RWs), so we had to use the WDTV box. More cues missed thanks to spotlight guy not being to spot the people named during the acknowledgments, but it turned out I was really just supposed to mention their names, period.

I missed one couple out of the 7 I was supposed to call for the Kiss-Or-Dice game, and the second game of bachelor limbo rock wasn't executed as well as I wanted, so selecting the winner felt a bit ambiguous.

Final official flub was me rambling near the end, since I was asked to wrap it up w/o actually saying "Good night," since the band was still gonna jam w/the entourage, etc.

Post-show flub? Failed to print business cards. At least one girl asked for one, but luckily I had pencil and extra kodigo paper at hand.

All in all it felt like a wedding dinner rehearsal that played live, warts and all. And boy, it played quickly. We were done in less than 2 hours. Bride grumbled a bit at my performance (welcome to the club, dear), but overall seemed fine with it. Groom was more forgiving, as well as the newlyweds' moms. Not expecting any references from wedding coorindator anytime soon.

Lessons learned? Try to find more ways to engage the audience. I think my catchphrase of the night was "Let's hear the sound of 1300 hands clapping," (they had 65 tables at 10pax) but it never occurred to me that due to the heavy rains a lot of guests had to cancel, so my clever bit falls prey to inancurrate math. The other cathphrase? "Sound Salad, ladies and gentlemen." I think I introduced the band so many times I was starting to sound like their manager.

Good points? Well, I look damn snazzy in a suit and tie. Plus I didn't have to speak Chinese, tho' that meant all that translating I had done and rehearsing my lines were for naught.

And now as host I'd like to thank the following:

Thanks to Kym for getting me this gig.

Thanks to wedding coordinator ex-tah-roar-da-naire Caroline Sevilla for steering the ship through choppy waters. If you privately badmouth my performance tonight I totally understand.

Thanks to my P.A. Carlos, 'coz now I can say I've had a personal assistant assigned to me (I feel like Carrie Fisher). Honestly, in all the time I've been doing this I've been given a P.A. to help me out.

Thanks finally to Edmund and Candice for trusting me to do my job when, honestly, they could have gotten someone else, someone more experienced, possibly funnier and w/ much better hair and charisma. I know I was a last-minute replacement of-sorts, so I hope I didn't disappoint either of you too badly. ;)

4 comments:

Chinachix said...

wow, looks like a promising 2nd career...next step, make sure to get those darned biz cards handy dear!

So said...

Are you like the other guy that does wedding gigs...do you sing too?

El PresiBENte said...

"the other guy?" you mean sing like Adam Sandler? otherwise I'm just a drop in the ocean in this wedding hosting biz. ;)

So said...

No. You know, that Michael someone who also does wedding hostings. Although he might have already retired. I haven't been back to attend weddings (well, I really don't get invited anyway.)... I forgot what I wasn talking about. Incidentally, the word verification that I got was ramenwhor. :D.