Yesterday while dropping Mom off at the side entrance of SM Sta. Mesa (near their SM Appliances building), I dropped my cellphone, but didn't notice it was missing 'til I got home. Used Ma's phone to call it, but didn't hear a peep from inside the Hi-Ace.Not in here, then. But I know I had it w/ me on the road. Crap, must've fallen off outside Centerpoint.
I started calling it. No answer. I sent text messages to it saying the phone was reported missing, and to call Mom's cell if found ASAP. Went back w/ the driver to the "scene of the crime" and asked the traffic guard if he noticed a Nokia 6300 lying on the road about an hour ago (no joke). He said he didn't and directed me to their customer relations office. They said no-one reported anything of a sort, but I left my contact numbers w/ them just the same.
Went home and texted the same notice to my phone, but in poorly worded Tagalog. I added the para makakuha nang biyaya, thinking the latter word meant "reward," but it actually meant, "grace" or "blessing."
Either way it worked. Couple of minutes later I got a call from someone named "Hammer" ("Parang yung martilyo?" "Oo, ganun din yung spelling.") who said he found my phone and lived in V. Mapa (Whew, malapit). We arranged to meet this morning at the Mercury Drugstore branch near Centerpoint.
When he was late I was getting antsy, but eventually inside the pharmacy I was approached by a decently dressed (tho' effeminately made up) man who asked me, "Kayo ba si Wel-vin?" Just then left pants pocket sang out my Simpsons acapella ringtone. I answered it, and it was Bebot (who accompanied me as a "lookout") asking if this was Hammer. I told her I got the phone and gave Hammer a cash envelope before parting ways.
Lessons learned? One: Don't be so freakin' absentminded w/ handling your cellphones. If it's on your lap, put it in your bag. Two: Honest people are out there. You just have to make an effort to find them. :)
4 comments:
wow...you must have good karma. sure are lucky to get your phone back.
sorry i deleted my previous post. that was written before i read about the break up. how are you faring these days?
I'll be okay, dear. Thanks for asking. Apologies if I missed greeting you a Happy Birthday. ;)
"There ARE honest people out there ... for a price, hehehe".
Sad but true.
Post a Comment