COUNTUP

Jul 28, 2008

Putting the Nut in 'Health Nut'

Sometimes my well-intentioned, know-it-all dietary experiments go awry. The last time it didn't go well was when, instead of rice, I ate lots of mashed potatoes and salad slathered w/ mayo. Long story short it didn't work miracles on my cholesterol levels. Switched to tomatoes and carrots since then.

Tried that one-glass-of-red/white-wine-a-day thing. Not being much of a drinker the buzz hit almost immediately. At least I fell asleep quicker but overall it wasn't pleasant and tasted even less so.

Last night after my workout I tried to make a fruit and vegetable smoothie for dinner. Blended 1 carrot, 1 Fuji apple, 1 tomato, 1 banana, 1 mango and 2 oranges (tip: place soft fruits before hard ones in the blender next time) mixed w/ ice and some honey. It made for 2.5 glasses. The mini-convulsions buzz I felt was unexpected but not altogether good, either. It was like my body knew this was the first time I've done this and and wanted it to be the last. Natural sugar rush or vitamin overdose? In the end I relented and had a tuna sandwich as well. Dumped the second glassful in the sink.

No comments: