COUNTUP

Jun 16, 2008

Weekend Update

SATURDAY: Met up w/ future marrieds Arsenio and Ronstadt at SM Megamall to check out the 7th Annual ToyCon. While it can't compare to the American ComiCons (particularly in terms of scale), the nerd-geek-otaku quotient was just about right. :)

Toy displays up the wazoo. It was as if Fully Booked took out all their figurine and sculpture displays from their stores and brought it to Megatrade halls 2 and 3. Oddly enough a mass service was being held in Hall 1, probably for the comic heathens to go for "penitence" after attending the ToyCon.

There were themed displays of action figures. One table had several dozen variations of the Hulk, while another all had Joker figures of several shapes and sizes. I liked seeing the life-size cartoon Princess Leia and Iron Man movie bust at the Sideshow Collectibles booth. With other exhibitors I think ToyCon is the only time they get to show off their extensive toy collections to complete strangers w/ some smug sense of satisfaction. The ultimate expression of "Look what I got but don't touch it." And since the toys are no longer "mint" (being taken out of their boxes or blister packs), resale value takes a big hit.

True to form, while I breezed through the toy/statue exhibits and gave cursory glances to the cosplayers (felt sorry for the kid wearing that uncomfortable looking Predator costume--unless he/she was really a midget, in w/c case bahala siya), I spent most of my time sifting though Comic Odyssey's 20-peso comic bins, w/ a buy-5-get-1-free offer. By sheer luck I managed to get issues of The Spectre and Captain Marvel that were missing from my collection. Also got issues of Blue Monday and The Demon I otherwise never would have gotten at normal prices.

After Megamall we took a looong drive to the Claycakes home office (literally), w/c was past Marcos Highway and Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall, two places I've never driven to (and hope never to do so again). Good thing 'Sen had a great sense of direction and we finally found the 2-storey mansion w/ 5 cars in their driveway. (Who knew the custom cake business would be so lucrative?) Inside we met the proprietor Karla Magbanua, who, after discussing a few points w/the couple, drew up their wedding cake design on-the-spot. Luckily 'Sen and Rons were easy to please and gave it a quick thumbs up. Post ToyCon and wedding cake planning activities consisted of pasta dinner and The Incredible Hulk (for review see previous blog entry) at The Podium.

SUNDAY: Today was my cousin Garry "Boying" Olivan's and Joan's wedding day. Once again I'm drafted to secondary sponsor duties, of w/c I've seem to run the gamut of: Ring Bearer, Candle, Cord, Readings, Groomsman and Best Man. This time it was Veil.

I kept repeating one word all throughout the ceremony (St. Peter the Apostle Church) and subsequent reception (Gloria Maris Greenhills): rehearsal, as in lack of. Ring-bearer Lance got cold feet and wouldn't walk down the aisle, but instead in his A.D.D. state circled it several times, much to his mom Aissa's dismay. Hope he'll get to show off that mini barong Tagalog of his some other time.

Today I also realized how little attention I pay to wedding ceremonies as when I got up next to Garry I screwed up w/ the veil. First I wasn't sure where to pin it, then I actually draped it over his head. (Why should the bride be the only one covered up?)

The clincher came after the priest told Garry "You may kiss the bride." The church audience expressed vocal disappointment (and mocking tone) when he kissed Joan on the cheek. Chagrined, he made up for it at the second try.

1 comment:

Chinachix said...

should make a movie about your being on wedding parties, something like 27 Barongs hehehe.