COUNTUP

Oct 24, 2006

When a Stranger Calls

I like talking to friends on the phone. Even when YM, MSN, and IM came about I still preferred yakking it up til my ears became sore. And with ears like mine that could take a while.

Why? Maybe it's because my favorite people to converse with, while great to talk to, are notoriously bad with the "follow-up IM," which is when they'd reply to my first text message but not to any follow up IMs, or maybe they don't reply at all. Frankly that's a pain in the butt. You can also chalk it up to my being a cheapskate. I should say that I like talking to friends on a landline. It's old school, but free old school.

In a related subject, last night I was again scoring a zero batting average getting in touch w/ friends on the phone. Last night it was 5 straight calls, and with the 4 of 'em the party was not at home. The fifth one was busy (writing). If I believed in such things I'd think fate was telling me to give it up and head for the showers. But like a Deal or No Deal contestant on his last throes of the game (Hey, I could still win 50 bucks!), I made another call. Success! She was supposed to watch Sex and the City on DVD but we managed to chat for quite a while.

Our conversation was interrupted by an IM from one of the persons I tried to contact earlier. She apologized for her brusqueness earlier and asked that I call her at home. This was the girl my bank manager wanted to fix me up with. All I had was cell number, so I was surprised that she texted me her home number.

Afterwards I called her. All I knew was she's 26 and works at ChinaBank. The conversation quickly turned Small World After All when it turned out that she's a batchmate to a Beijinoy from ICA. Soon she was asking me what fellow ICAn's been doing ("School, I think...") and why I didn't make any moves on her ("I don't think I'm her type"). Well, that's one thing in common, I guess. And she watches House, w/c can't be a bad thing.

I asked if she'd like to meet up tomorrow (today), since it was a holiday and neither of us had any pressing matters to attend to. Yeah, yeah, too soon some might say, but I say life's short. She was of the former opinion, and politely declined the invite. Understandable. So, final assessement: English not her first language, likes to read, not a big TV person, likes going out w/ friends. Watches House and Grey's Anatomy. Nice enough, at least on the phone. Still awaiting a picture. ;)

2 comments:

radiculous said...

IM me who she is I probably know her. hihiihhihihihi

Anonymous said...

hey ben. you be careful with those kinda people ha... not that you cant handle it.

just feels sweet to say it.

hahaha. joking aside. ingat ka sa mga ganyan...

baka ako yun...playing a joke on you. ^^v