Asked BiteyTM about pet peeves yesterday. She couldn't name hers off off-hand. On the other hand I was reminded what one of mine was later in the day:
Kids in the gym. Specifically, kids allowed to wander around the gym's weight area.
My house has a gym of sorts. Weights, aerobics and a treadmill in a small area just outside my room. Imagine an area small enough to barely accomodate all those 3 workouts being done simultaneously. Now imagine it with kids.
As much as I love my nephews and nieces, I can't stand having them around the gym area, mainly because they treat it like a playground, which it's not. The sit-up bench is not a slide. You do not lie down on the treadmill. If the jumprope is longer than you even when it's folded in half you can't use it. One almost tripped over those latches used to hold a barbell's weights in place, for crying out loud.
I probably wouldn't mind as much if I didn't have to watch over them, w/c takes me away from my own workout time. When they're up there I don't want them to be just supervised, but controlled like mindless puppets, forced to sit/stand at the corner and away from the weights.
So, to clarify: You bring your kids to a gym, either keep 'em onna leash or make sure that if they wander aimlessly it's only at the aerobics area. Lots of space, nothing but floor and mats. If the kids still manage to bump into each other's heads, they're idiots.
No comments:
Post a Comment