In light of my recent issues with cholesterol, I decided to try some wine-drinking therapy. A glass of wine before bed. Upon further reading (and not-really-well-done research) I found that this particular remedy was for those having trouble sleeping at night. (Coz' who needs milk when you can have fermented grapes?) And it works, too. With my current low tolerance to alcohol getting sleepy was easy.
Last night I finished off the red wine from the bottle I opened on New Year's, so I decided to try white wine this time. I got the "tamest" one I could find (12%), drilled in the corkscrew, and, voila... the dang cork wouldn't come off. In fact, it disintegrated.
(And that is why wine should be stored on its side: to keep the cork moist.)
My mind raced...
Uh, oh. Drilled a hole right through the cork. Crap, this won't store well. Quick, look for another container. Crap. Best container already has spaghetti sauce in it. Hmm, this big glass jar with the "airtight" cap should do. Now how to pour in the wine without getting bits of cork into the jar? Get a clean facecloth. Place over mouth of jar. Now put a sieve on top for good measure. Pour wine.
Crap, facecloth's absorbing the wine! Ugh, getting messy. Keep pouring.
Crap, wine barely filled a third of the jar. Looks like pee. Not too classy.
Look for another container. Hmm, wonder if it'll fit in my gym water bottle? Ooh, perfect.
Oops, almost full. About a shot glass' worth of white wine left. Ah, hell, dump it in the sink.
Place bottle with cork inside in the bodega. Place gym water/wine bottle in the fridge. Never speak of this idiotic incident again.
No comments:
Post a Comment