COUNTUP

Aug 20, 2001

Bucks for Bendis

Almost two weeks have gone by and boy, has it been a really expensive month for me. Two mall-wide sales and several comics and CDs later I'm starting to feel the pinch. Maybe it's because I had a big chunk of my salary thrown into a trust fund ('least that's where my cousin said she placed it) that I'm noticing how little spending cash I have to spend.

Speaking of comics I've resolved to buy the more readily available ones here (whether it be single issue or trade paperback) while saving those online dollar charges for the "not so popular, harder to find" books.

Speaking of spending I find myself at odds when it comes to Brian Michael Bendis. I started buying this guy's books solely by the strength of his reputation alone and so far it's not turning out so great. He writes great dialogue but like my experience with Paul Jenkins (another "rep writer") his endings in a lot of his stories are more or less anticlimactic, particularly in Sam and Twitch. In Bounty Hunter Wars: after a five-issue chase the Bad Guy gets shot between the eyes. That's it? Dumb laws and Eggs: jerk boyfriend is shot. That's it? Daredevil 16-19: 4 issues to tell a story that could have been done in two. THAT'S IT? Stuff like this makes me hesistant to get the trade editions of either Elektra or Alias. Then there's his pre-Marvel stuff Jinx, Goldfish and Torso. Should I be expecting the same blah endings?

No comments: