COUNTUP

Nov 4, 2009

Quiz Show

My initial reluctance to attend my first ever Quiz Night at Alegro 121 Bar (Pasong Tamo Ext., Makati) was born out of an irrational fear of driving to faraway (read: any place that needs thorough map reading from me) bars and passive laziness. I committed myself to making the trip by asking Rona and Dee to join me after I got the invite from The Contessa.

Thankfully the enjoyable evening put my fears to rest. I thought Rons and I arrived early, but in turned out Contessa 'n' Friends were having a ciggie break outside. I found that out too late and registered the team name Contessa in her honor. (They used to be Team Itlog, for some reason.) We had 2-3 false starts w/ the whiteboard markers, and I was made de facto Board Scribe. More people (and Dee) arrived in time for gametime.

We started slow w/ Sports (Manny Pacquiao) and Geography, but thankfully I/we/I killed in the Steve Martin and Cartoon Sidekicks categories (save for one hiccup in the former --Leap of Faith, idiot, not Keep the Faith-- and the names of Inspector Gadget's dog, Bravestarr's horse, the Jetson's springy pet and Space Ghost's monkey in the latter). Everyone in the group was dumbfounded (no pun intended) by my writing down correct movie and cartoon answers like Hollywood Rain Man. For my part I always knew useless stock knowledge would only prove useful in party situations and not employment options. Everyone on our table w/ a digicam wanted a picture w/ me as a keepsake. (Hurrah, geekdom!)

The Science category we did ok in, but stunk in Current Events. Whatever chance we had of winning any gift certificates was long gone. But who cares? Rons bought me a beer (tardiness penalty) and I had fun. Got home past 1AM w/ Ma waiting for me upstairs, but still had fun.

No comments: