COUNTUP

May 11, 2009

Where No Date Has Gone Before

Today I became a blood donor for the first time. To commemorate the event I asked the girlfriend to willingly bleed w/ me, for w/c she was game. In a prick on irony Aissa, who initiated this early morning Red Cross activity (along w/ Sis and Raymond) was classified as underweight, thus unable to give blood.

After we had breakfast in Jollibee I kept telling my needle-phobic cousin that injections were just like ant bites. After seeing (and feeling) that larger-than-usual needle pierce my arm, I quickly reevaluated that analogy from ant to aah-JEEZUS-that-hurt bite. As 450ml of blood flowed into a plasic bag I distracted myself w/ cable TV, apple juice and a peanut-butter-flavored cracker sandwich.

Strangely enough I experienced a migraine after lunch. If this was a side effect of giving blood it's not exactly an incentive for me to repeat the gesture 3 months from now. It went away after Liza and I dropped dad off and went to SM MoA, but came back after we finished watching the latest episode of Lie to Me at the Coffee Bean. Good this the pain was manageable enough so that I made it through watching Star Trek on IMAX, enjoying it thoroughly. Possilbly the best film I've seen this year, but definitely the best I've seen on IMAX so far, even w/o 3-D.

No comments: