Noreen Gaye Lim was my ex-thesis-mate's cousin. As thin a connection as that may sound I thought-- think of her as a good friend. Back in college when we were shooting the short movie for the thesis (never finished) at their house, in between breaks Gaye and I would sometimes hang and share music tastes.
I learned early on about Ani DiFranco (thanks, Showbiz Today and Conan O'Brien) but it was Gaye who turned me into a full-time fan, as well as to other female artists like Sarah Maclaughlin, Chantal Kreviazuk, Portishead and the whole Lilith Fair roster.Stage III colon cancer. 28. Funeral 2 weeks ago. Words I never thought I'd hear about her in the same conversation. But heard them I did, and regret follows. Part of me is upset at ex-thesis mate for not telling me about either the wake or the funeral. Part of me is shocked about the COD. Part of me is angry at how the good die young. Part of me is pissed about never getting the chance to talk to her again.
But for the most part I'm just sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment