COUNTUP

Dec 18, 2005

Adventures in Computer Coloring, Part 2


The original sketch and the finished piece

Been spending some time watching instructional videos on how to use Photoshop CS(2) more efficiently. Learning a lot. Now need to find a way to charge people for my services.

Anyway, the drawing above is by Jim Lee, currently the most popular Korean-American comics artist around. His style of drawing has produced dozens of clones and wannabees --for better (Travis Charest) or for worse (Al Rio)-- and for some reason any rendition of archetype superheroes he does becomes the standard look for months or years to come.

I swiped the drawing from his studio's blog and fiddled with it with my "newfound skills." The lasso was the hardest to color, since I still had to put in the glowing effect afterwards.

The first finished piece was completely colored and had sort of a flat, animation cel look. I felt it was too dark so I gave it another go by combining the original and the colored drawing to end up (almost by accident, really) with a watercolor/colored pencil sketch look.

No comments: