COUNTUP

Aug 28, 2004

Updatem (duh)

New faces in the form of Fernan (Manol’s friend) and Jaycee, (friend of Aileen’s friend) have arrived. Old faces KV, David, Joyce, Di and Jella have returned, as well. A new Asian majority has come in the form of the Japanese, as all 3 Pinoys in the dorm (actually the only 3 Pinoys at the moment) have Japanese roommates. Mine speaks passable English (thank God) but no Chinese (so much for practice). Manol also suspects he’s gay, w/c doesn’t surprise me. The guy’s toiletry bag is pink, and I’ve never a man with so many Shiseido products in all my life.

Pinoys attended a dinner hosted by Manol’s dad, who, along with Manol’s uncle and cousin, arrived yesterday. Jay was there and for some reason was giving me a look. Hard to describe, but it’s kinda like the look I’d like to give Belo (not Jarvy--ever again) when he returns. I generally don’t give a bullcrap when a guy I hardly interact with gives me a look, but damn if I don’t get curious about it. I mean, I can’t even remember the last time I saw Jay, so what’s he got to be pissed about?

My relationship with my countrymen in Beijing has taught me that adages, “Familiarity breeds contempt” and, “Absence make the heart grow fonder” hold true. I get butterflies at the thought of the old batch of Dorm 6 (Tin Tin excluded) coming back. Actually I think it’s just Belo. God’s the amount of backbiting that goes on here makes me sick. Don’t tell so-and-so this and Lemme tell you about whasisname that. Sick of it.

No comments: