COUNTUP

Aug 18, 2002

Lessons Learned

I'm a half-hour away from getting a call from Aissa to inform me and Boit what tonight's dinner plans are. Presumably it's with my sister-in-law Che Che and friends. Whatever. A dinner out is a dinner out, and it matters even less when I'm not the one paying for it.

Learning more and more from my Ebaying, like the concept of proxy bidding. I used to think it meant that someone else could access my Ebay page and bid for me when I'm not available, which I thought was a hassle since that same someone might screw up. Turns out it meant than I can place the maximum amount I'm willing to spend on said item, then Ebay would place it for me anonymously. That way even if the current bidder beats the current bid (but not my maximum bid) I win the item. It also meant no more getting up at ungodly hours and getting butterflies in my stomach watching the last few minutes of auction time go by while guarding against "snipers" (Ebay's term) who outbid you at the last minute. I did that last Thursday and all I had to show for it was one Daredevil GN.

Yet further research indicated that "snipers" may not exist, and my constantly being outbid instantly simply meant that I bid lower than whasisname's maximum proxy bid. Man, that's a load of stress off my mind. I will miss the adrenalin rush of watching against them, though, just not during the aforementioned ungodly hours.

No comments: